T he first paper contains part of the General Study and the second paper is Aptitude Test which is also a qualifying paper. Each question in General Studies paper carries 2 marks. Each question in CSAT (Civil Service Aptitude Test) paper carries 2.5 marks.
For each question for which a wrong answer has been given by the candidate, one-third (0.33) of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty.
If a candidate gives more than one answer, it will be treated as a wrong answer even if one of the given answers happens to be correct and the penalty will be the same as mentioned above for that question. If a question is left blank, i.e. no answer is given by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question.
Candidates will have to score a minimum of 33 % to qualify for CSAT paper and approximately 50 to 60% for General Studies paper.
This phase works as foundation
Most questions of the preliminary examination are in the form of true and false statements.
To solve these, detailed coverage of data-fact is necessary and development of concept understanding is also important.
In this phase, you endeavor to memorize the information, facts, data or statistics
|Age/attempt limit in UPSC ( CSE)|
|Category||Upper Age Limit||NO. of Attempts|
|GENERAL & CREAMY OBC||32 years||06 attempts|
|NON- CREAMY OBC||35 years||09 attempts|
|SC/ST||37 YEARS||Till upper age limit|
|PH||Gen- 42 years, OBC-45 years, SC/ST- 47 years||Gen- 0 9 attempts, OBC- 09 attempts, SC/ST- till upper age limit|
|J&K Domicile||Gen- 37 years, OBC- 40 years, SC/ST- 42 years, PH – 47 years||Till upper age limit|
|Disabled servicemen||Gen – 37 years, OBC – 38 years, SC/ST – 40 years||Till upper age limit|
|· Must be a graduate. No minimum %, grade or CGPA required in college.|
· They only need final graduation certificate/marksheet.
· Undergraduate in last year, last semester can apply.
· Foreign degree valid but have to get equivalent cert. from AIU
· Distance education degree valid- IF recognized by UGC/AICTE/any Law
· MBBS must have completed internship before UPSC Interview-stage comes
|· Mode: online|
· Imp Dates: You can apply for the UPSC CSE-19 examination after notifying in Feb 2019
· You’ve to mention your optional subject in online Prelim application form. You can’t change it afterwards during Mains detailed application form (DAF).
· Marksheet ,caste certificate not required at this stage.