T he IAS Mains Exam assessing the academic expertise of the candidate as well as examines mental abilities. An attempt is made to investigate the administrative aptitude and skills in the candidate by evaluating the writing.
Interview will be conducted is to assess the personal suitability of the candidate for a career in public service by a Board of competent and unbiased observers.
Number of candidates to be admitted to IAS Main Examination will be about twelve to thirteen times the total approximate number of vacancies to be filled in the year through this examination.
The number of candidates to be summoned for interview will be about twice of the number of vacancies to be filled.
IAS Mains is intended to judge the mental caliber of candidate.
This written exam will consist of 9 papers of conventional essay type out of which two papers will be of qualifying nature.
Marks obtained in Interview for Personality Test will be counted for ranking.
Candidates will be allotted to the various Services keeping in view their ranks in the examination and the preferences expressed by them for the various Services and posts.
IAS Mains Exam Pattern
- IAS Mains has 7 papers out of which 5 Papers are compulsory and 2 Papers are Optional Language Papers (A & B)
- For paper A, candidate has to choose one of the Indian Language that is included in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution. Paper B will have questions from English.
- Questions will be objective and subjective in nature, depending on the paper.
- Each paper is of 250 marks.
- The marks obtained in the qualifying papers are not counted in the formation of IAS Merit List.
- The question paper is bilingual in nature.
- The total time duration of IAS Mains is 3 hours.
- Blind candidates will be given 20 minutes for each paper.
|Paper 1||Essay writing||250|
|Paper 2||General Studies I Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society||250|
|Paper 3||General Studies II Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations||250|
|Paper 4||General Studies III Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management||250|
|Paper 5||General Studies IV Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude||250|
|Paper 6||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250|
|Paper 7||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250|